Thursday, October 06, 2005

People Who Dump on SUV’s

I am reading "An Accidental Canadian" by Margaret Wente. Its not a bad book, but I until I read this passage below, I really hadn't had a outright laugh. Unfortunately it happened to occur on a city bus at seven A.M. and I consequently received a few strange looks.

To tell the truth, I like this sort of thing when it happens. If I can make even one person on the bus smile to themselves and think "that was funny", then I am happy in my knowledge that I’ve spread a little unanticipated cheer.

Here's the quote, the italics are mine:

“Deep down inside, these people really believe all cars are wicked. They think all of us should get around on bikes and public transit. In their view, people who love cars for the freedom and mobility they bring (to say nothing of the six CD-players and heated seats) are like people in the olden days who had sex for fun – dangerous and immoral.

By the way, what would Jesus drive? It’s not hard to figure out. Jesus was a country carpenter. So if he lived in Canada, he’d drive an old beat-up F-150 pickup, which is the vehicle of choice up in our neck of the woods. If he was a really successful carpenter, he’d drive an F-250. And some of his disciples would turn them into mudders with gigantic tires and extra strong suspensions, and in winter they’d dig out the Pharisees from the big city for fifty bucks a pop.”

No comments: